Monday, February 23, 2009

Patient Trust

We had a day with Peter Scazzero during cross cultural training in New York City.  God prompted us to purchase his book, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality and also his small book called the Daily Office which are bite size pieces from the bigger book.  If you haven't read his books, they are great and I highly recommend them.  
But anyway, this morning's Daily Office really spoke to my heart and I wanted to share it with you.
Genesis 12:1 - "The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you."
Scazzero paints the image of the Christian life as a journey.  And he points out so well that "Journeys involve movement, action, stops and starts, detours, delays, and trips into the unknown".  And he states that "journey's with God require much patient trust", the area that I so often struggle the most.
Patient Trust
Above all, trust is the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything 
to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to 
something unknown, something new.
And yet it is the law of all progress 
that it is made by passing through
some stages of instability - 
and that it may take a very long time.
And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually - let them grow,
let them shape themselves without undue haste.
Don't try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances 
acting on your own good will)
will make of you tomorrow.
Inly God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give our Lord the benefit of believing
that His hand is leading you.
And accept the anxiety of feeling yourself 
in suspense and incomplete.
Pierre Teilhard De Chardin
"Grant me courage, Father, to embark on the unique journey you have crafted for me.  By faith, I surrender my need and desire to be in control of every event, circumstance, person I will meet today.  In Jesus' name, amen."



2 comments:

Laurie M. said...

That is just the encouragement I needed for today!

BTW I've got very good news about our church. I'll try to e-mail you about it soon.

Tonggu Grammy said...

Oh my goodness! Were you at our Ladies Discipleship Series meeting tonight? I was asked to share about the impact of mission work in the Philippines on my life and what God had taught me. I was sharing about my tendency to try to do things under my own power at my own speed. When I read your post I started to laugh. God REALLY wants me to learn the lesson of trusting His vision and His timing. Thanks for ministering to me yet again!