Friday, November 20, 2009

Immanuel

Times flying and I am beginning to feel a bit pressured.  I have begun to sort through things, clothes will I need in Mexico since it's not just hot there all the time.What should we take with us? We are busy studying spanish with Rosetta Stone. And God has been preparing my heart to leave and follow His calling. I Praise Him that He doesn't just call but He is the One that makes it possible for me to follow!!
On a different note, dear me I struggle with finding day to day freedom in the Gospel.  I grew up with a Father who was a strict, strict perfectionist.  I am certainly not blaming things on my Dad cause I have more than enough parental failures of my own.  But I have come to realize there is somewhat of a connection here.  I am prone to self-righteousness and working, working, striving, striving and more striving trying to please God.
Paul David Tripp says: "You will only get what God has given you when you understand that you need much more than a system of answers; what you actually need is a Redeemer.  Why? Because only a Redeemer can rescue you from you! And so God didn't simply offer you legal forgiveness.  Praise Him that He did that.  But He offered you something much more profound.  He offered you Himself. He knew that your need was so great that it wouldn't be enough to simply forgive you. He literally needed to unzip you and get inside you, or you would never be what you were supposed to be and do what you were supposed to do.
And so the whole redemptive story marches toward Immanuel, the redeemer who would destroy sin's dominion in our hearts by making our hearts the place where He, in His power, wisdom, and glory, would dwell." from Whiter Than Snow
Oh and the author doesn't stop there.  He asks me to take a moment and reflect. "What does it means to live believing that Jesus lives inside of me and empowers me to do what He has called me to do where I live every day."
Still pondering but that should give rest to my soul as I surrender to Christ doing through me instead of me striving, striving, striving.  Just sharing.
"I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Gal 2:20

1 comment:

Laurie M. said...

I have a similar struggle, only mine was related to a parent who was never quite pleased, but never quite said so, and never said why, relying mainly on hints. So I have this vague sense of God's judgment and displeasure and an inclination to view things as signs of his favor or disfavor.