Tuesday, September 23, 2008

To Glorify God

Recently I have been pondering (I am a ponderer) glorifying God. I long to glorify God with my life but what does that look like?
This morning I was reading a well know passage in Matthew 7: 21-23 - "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' and then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'
I confess that I am guilty often of skimming right through these well known passages but the Holy Spirit caught my attention this morning. "Lord, Lord", these double words denoting intimacy. But God quickly convicted me that He doesn't desire my empty words of the Christian walk, or my words of empty intimacy to Him or others. He doesn't desire to hear my saying what sounds good to Him or others or my saying I know Him. God also showed me that He doesn't desire my "doing works in His name" mighty works or simple works. He doesn't desire my doing, doing, doing. And I must say that with my task oriented brain my focus is most always doing, doing, doing.
But Praise God that He didn't just leave me there with the don'ts but He began to show me what He does desire. He desires me to "do His will". Whew, that's a tall order but what is He saying to me? I found myself realizing that in order "to do His will" I must know His will. This requires spending time in His Word to know what His will is for me. And then even when I read and know His will for me, do I want to do it? Doing requires obedience. And I am so much more prone to be obedient to SELF than I am to God and His Word. I often just allow SELF to react and I felt very convicted that I need to stop and think, what would God have me to do in any given situation instead of just reacting.
And then last and probably the most important, God wants me to "know Him". This of course ties in with knowing His will, His word but He wants me to KNOW HIM. He desires genuine intimacy with me (this raises up all kinds of feelings of gratitude, because I am not worthy at all of intimacy with the Lord of our universe). But pushing on, He showed me that knowing Him doesn't work too well with my task oriented doing, doing, doing. I was humbled to catch a glimpse of my life and how easily I focus on doing, accomplishing, marking off those tasks, and yet do I make it a priority to KNOW HIM which requires spending time with HIM. I was convicted of how I allow my day to dictate my life, what needs to be done and I don't focus on KNOWING HIM. Oh how I need to make more time for HIM first, scrap the list of do's and the loud nudges of this world. And then my heart jumped for joy, I see it God, these 2 ways are how I glorify YOU! Of course, no 10 easy steps to do this will work, it remains all about God and His grace and the power of Jesus's blood. But I am called to make progress and how can I make progress without knowing and attempting? I thank God for opening my eyes as I have been asking Him to show me what does that glorifying Him looks like. Oh His faithfulness to me if far and above my faithfulness and focus on Him.

No comments: